Vintage/Retired GS badges and memorabilia
Purpose: To help girls learn about cultural (dance, crafts, dress, music, etc.) differences spanning the decades of Girl Scouting’s history and dream about what Girl Scouting will be like in the future. Stitch in Time badges are available for purchase online or at any of our council shops.
Girl Scout Brownies: Complete four of the requirements, including the two starred.
Girl Scout Juniors: Complete six of the requirements, including the two starred.
1. Create a time capsule with five or six items to represent the current year.
* 2. Present, to another unit, what Girl Scouts may be like in 20 years (i.e., badges, uniforms, community service projects, activities) either by drawing pictures or performing a skit.
3. Learn the popular dance of two of the decades.
* 4. Make a craft from two of the decades.
5. Via sketches, pictures or actual clothing, present to another troop the clothing styles of one decade prior to 1970. Include “street” clothing and changes to the Girl Scout uniform.
6. Find out what type of community service projects were performed by Girl Scouts two decades ago.
7. Make a poster of one major fad or new event for four decades.
8. Listen to popular music of two decades. Discuss within you troop, the differences in communications and media from those decades to today (i.e., Color TV, VCRs/DVD players).