Vintage/Retired GS badges and memorabilia
This is an exciting patch program that teaches girls the history, science, and health behind sweets! To earn this patch, you must complete six of the listed activities including activity 1*.
1. *Learn about the history of candy and candy making.
2. Learn the history of chocolate and how it is made.
3. Find out about careers that are related to the candy making industry. Learn what education is required for the various jobs. Discover the salaries and skill sets needed for these jobs.
4. Learn how to make lollipops in at least one color and flavor. You can make these free-form or using the lollipop mold.
5. Investigate the various flavors of fudge that can be made and make some of your own!
6. Learn about the history of chewing gum and then make some using a recipe you have found. Compare yours to commercially prepared gum that you purchase. Survey several people to see what type they like best.
7. Learn what taffy is, research a recipe and make one or more flavors of it.
8. Discover the nutritional advantages and disadvantages of candy.
9. Learn about candy in the United States and in other countries. Which country consumes the most candy? Which country consumes the most chocolate? Learn what flavor Americans prefer in sweets.
10. Create at least two different candy items using the following methods: a. Molded candy b. Fruit covered in candy c. Pretzels covered in candy
11. Make candy of your choice and donate the candy to a local food bank or a shelter. Check with the organization ahead of time to make sure they accept homemade donations.
12. Make a poster or display that you can use to teach others what you have learned about candy. Include the truth about myths concerning candy. Show some ways that kids can make smart food and candy choices.