Vintage/Retired GS badges and memorabilia
(Complete (6) of the following requirements including the ones starred.)
*1. Learn about the early mining days in the U.P. Where was the first mine and what type of ore did it produce? Visit a mining museum/display or read a story about U.P. mining or have someone speak to your troop about the mining industry.
2. Who were the first settlers in your community and why did they settle there?
3. Identify a famous person associated with the lumbering industry in the U.P. Where did he/she come from, where did he/she live and what was he/she famous for? What companies are involved in the lumbering industry in the U.P. today?
4. Which Indian tribes inhabit the U.P.? Invite someone to a troop meeting to tell about the Indian culture and demonstrate Native American crafts. How many reservations are in the U.P. and where are they located?
5. How many important bridges are there in the U.P.? Name them. Why are they famous?
6. Learn where pasties come from and why they were popular with the early settlers here. Help make a pasty and have a pasty party.
7. Find out about at least three natural landmarks in the U.P. Visit one of them.
8. How many Great Lakes border the U.P. Name them. Why are they important to the people who live here?
9. Where are the Soo Locks and how do they work? When were they built?
10. What recreational activities are popular in the U.P.? What makes them popular here? With your troop or family participate in one activity that is new to you.